Monday, February 6, 2012

Psychological Benefits of Exercise: What those who "Don't get it" don't get.


"You have to wonder at times what you’re doing out there. Over the years, I’ve given myself a thousand reasons to keep running, but it always comes back to where it started. It comes down to self-satisfaction and a sense of achievement." – Steve Prefontaine, great American distance runner


If you are an athlete, and those around you (co workers, friends, family) know this about you, chances are you have been teased about your exercise habits.  I have received a lot of ‘jabs’ about my running, biking, and swimming over the years.  I have lost count of how many times I’ve heard “Why do you run? I don't get it, the only reason I could ever think of to run is if the cops were chasing me!”  I have even been scolded for doing triathlons.  A woman once told me “Triathlons are dangerous, that’s just taking it too far…and the only reason people do triathlons is because they want to be able to say they did something that others can’t do.”  Upon receiving such remarks, I generally feel sorry for the maker of the comment, because, in making a joke out of me, they have informed me that they have never felt the self satisfaction and pure happiness that comes from exercise.  For anyone who has ever felt that 'high' after completing a tough workout, or that amazing sense of accomplishment one can only get from setting a fitness goal, working hard towards it, and finally achieving it understands exactly why someone would run or do triathlons.

If those individuals who choose to sit on the couch, conjuring up insults directed towards those of us who choose to live an active lifestyle only knew our ‘secrets!’  Here are a few psychological benefits of exercise those who "Don't get it" don't get:

Stress management: Exercise reduces stress by boosting levels of serotonin in your brain and creating a more positive mood.  Whether by allowing one the time to think about life's problems, or time to escape them for awhile, tension seems to lessen with each passing mile.  Distance runs are great for solving problems. A 2 hour run by yourself (or with your trusted running buddies as a sound board) can really clear your mind and allow you to pin down a solution.  Speed runs are great for managing aggression and anger. Focusing your emotions into a few sprints is a much healthier alternative to blowing up at your spouse or boss, or bottling your frustrations inside.

Anti depressant: The brain’s release of endorphins can reduce pain, boost the immune system, and bring a greater sense of well being. It has been said that these endorphins can have eighty times as much pain-easing effect as morphine.  One of the problems with the downward spiral of depression is not feeling in control of your life.  With exercise, you get to decide when, where, and how you want to spend that block of time each day.  In an unfair world, running is fair, in the sense that, (barring injury) the more or harder you run, the better you get at it. With individual sports, you really do get out what you put in.  It’s up to YOU to decide how much you want to give, and trust that in time you will get back something truly amazing in the form of self satisfaction.

Self esteem and confidence booster:  Running (as well as cycling, swimming, and any ‘time-oriented’ individual sport) builds confidence like few other sports can. It allows an athlete to defeat trials and obstacles, growing stronger and more sure of ones self with each gain in performance or obstacle overcome or. It allows one to constantly create and conquer goals.  I will never forget training for my first half marathon and marathon.  Week after week, I got to set a new ‘personal long run record’ in training, and I have yet to find something that provides as much of a sense of accomplishment as crossing my first marathon finish line did!  Asking and training your body to perform tasks you previously thought not probable or possible provides a feeling of empowerment and freedom that comes with realizing that your body is strong and capable. Confidence is even more a product of exercise for those who lose weight and gain a better self-image.

Addiction Replacement: Running has been used for years to treat clinical depression and addictions of all kinds. A reduction in tension, fatigue, and confusion are a few of the changes patients report after beginning a regular running program. Exercise gives something for an individual to focus on besides their depressed state or addiction. When a recovering addict isn't using, there tends to be a void left in their life. Exercise can help fill that void. Working out becomes a "positive addiction." A key to recovery is to pick an exercise that a recovering addict likes, otherwise they won't stick with it.  Aside from running, biking, and swimming, there are plenty forms of exercise which are easily addicting!

Exercise sharpens focus and improves mental stamina.  This is accomplished by giving circulation a boost and increasing the flow of blood to the brain.  Running can be as much of an exercise for the mind as it is for the body.  By making yourself overcome the obstacles that running brings, you learn focus and determination. The will and strength that gets your body through long runs or those swim workouts you'd much rather skip is what in turn strengthens your mind and gives you focus and determination in other aspects of your life.

Perhaps if everyone knew the 'secret' psychological benefits of exercise, this world would be a healthier, happier place.  Encourage those around you who 'Don't get it' to give it a try for the sake of their body and mind; tell them "You never know when you might need to outrun a cop!" :)                





3 comments:

  1. Jenn, I loved this post! It's really so, so true. I'm pretty sure I can't outrun anybody, but I have been a MUCH happier, balanced person since I started exercising regularly and especially since I started running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it too! I've gotten some of those negative or rude comments, too, since I started running. Not from others who exercise regularly (to the contrary) but from those who don't. I always tell them not to knock it before they try it.

    There's something very cathartic about giving up your cares and relaxing your body to run a longer distance. You just can't manage it (very well, at least) if you're knotted up with tension. Since I've taken the "join me" approach to these comments, I've found a lot more friends and family who want to workout together! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um.... I have outrun a cop before... :-) No proud of that, I really had no reason to do it, had he caught me there would still have been nothing to charge me with... Well, ok, maybe I am a little proud of it.

    ReplyDelete