Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Cutting Corners ~or is it~ Running the Tangents

When I decided to start this blog about exercise and the many mental facets that go along with exercise, I made a list of topics I wanted to write about to get me started.  It is funny how, on a few occasions already, some of the topics I jotted down have come up in conversation with my training buddies.  When that happens, I just go ahead and make that my next blog entry, because the topic is fresh on my mind, and is obviously of interest to my training buddies, and I hope others reading my blog.

Several of my running buddies recently competed in the Derby Mini and/ or the Flying Pig Half Marathon, so ‘race strategy’ was a natural topic of conversation during our recent runs  Two of my running buddies were recapping their recent Derby Mini race, and each stated their time and the distance their GPS watch said they ran.  One runners GPS said she ran 12.9 miles between the start and finish lines, and the other’s GPS said she ran 13.4 miles from line to line.  Some of that difference could be accounted for by different GPS’s accuracy, but not half a mile!  The only other explanations are: the differing amounts the two runners weaved in and out of people on a crowded course, and the way each runner took each and every turn of the course. 

When a race course is certified by the RRCA or USATF, it is measured by the shortest route a person can run and remain on the course legally.  Some running races (especially out-and-back style races) have cones set up in the middle of the road, so you are not able to run freely about the road.  During all triathlon races, and some running races, it is against the rules to cross a double yellow line.   Some races, however, you are given free reign of the road, and are therefore allowed to take each and every turn however you choose.  If you want to run your race 'smart', you'll run the tangents. 

What ' running the tangents' means is: rather than following the curve of a road or your race course, you should aim yourself directly for the next curve that comes into sight and to only run along the curve when you cannot see that next curve until after you’ve gone around the current one.

Check out the picture below:  the person following the orange line is running along the left side of the road. During training, this is appropriate and safe as it will help them avoid getting hit by a car. The person running the red line, however, is running the tangents to the curve. The red line runner will cover the same distance (by road) in less time because he/she won’t have to travel as far (in actual distance).

By looking at this picture, you may notice that the red line isn’t that much shorter than the orange line, but over the full distance of a race, especially one with a lot of turns and curves, it can really add up.  You can shave seconds off of a shorter race or shave minutes off in a longer race.

Some racers may consider 'running the tangents' as 'cutting corners' but, in truth, it is fair to assume that the race distance is measured out assuming racers will 'run the tangents.'  I wanted to include this topic as a blog post because there are many factors that affect a race day performance, and this is just one of them.  We all know how one seemingly unexplainable bad race can mentally mess you up in your future races.  If you've ever been beat by a comparable athlete during a half marathon or marathon, and feel as though you had a great race, you might want to ask them next time how far their GPS said they ran.  Maybe they have figured out how to run the tangents better than you and can give you some tips.  Don't be too hard on your race performance when there could be an easily controllable factor that explains why you might not have placed as high as you were hoping for. 

2 comments:

  1. Jenn, I'm sending this post to my daughter. We had this same discussion after the Flying Pig 10K last Saturday trying to understand why the discrepancy between the race time/distance and our Garmins. Glad to understand what running the tangents is all about.

    Good post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you post this...I realize why I also ran "13.4" miles. Granted, part of the race, there way no way to run the tangent with all the dang walkers on either side (grr!) or BOTH sides. That really "grinds my gears" too. Anyway, I will need to practice this more for whatever half I do in the Fall--because given Sunday's performance, I MUST run a Fall half. :) You never fail to give me new insights! :)

    ReplyDelete