Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Circle of Training Buddies

It is rare that I set out for a run or a bike ride without a training buddy.  Often times, scheduling with a training buddy is the first step in getting myself in gear for a workout.  Scheduling a run or ride with a training buddy takes place before I think about how much fluid I’ll need for the training session, what I’ll wear, or what I’ll eat/ drink to prepare for the training session.  Every athlete has their favorite training buddy:  that fellow athlete who clicks so well with their own pace, goals, and personality.  The ‘favorite training buddy’ becomes a best friend, and so much more.  You become obsessed (in a healthy way) with this person, and in a way, develop a co-dependency from spending so much time together.  So, what happens when life happens and for one reason or another, your tride-and-true training buddy who you just assumed would be your training buddy for life is no longer able to be there for you, every (or any) run or ride?     
I’ve had training buddies move (obviously training with someone hours or states away is not practical).  I’ve had training buddies have babies (obviously their priorities as well as capabilities and mine were no longer the same).  I’ve had training buddies lose motivation and stop showing up for runs, or likewise, become so focused that they prefer to train solo.  I’ve had training buddies that went back to school, and the schedules of our busy lives no longer coincided. 
Growing up as a swimmer, on an organized team, there was never the ‘training buddy’ mentality because I always knew there would be other swimmers, or at the least, a coach, at practice.  Since I became a runner (four years ago) and a cyclist (two years ago) I have had the privilege of having numerous ‘favorite training buddies.’  Each of them has their own ‘chapter’ in my ‘life novel’ and will forever have a special place in my heart.  I have a close connection, and keep in touch with all of my past ‘favorite training buddies’ because the bond we formed was so strong.  I find myself dreaming about life scenarios which will make each and every one of them a ‘favorite buddy’ again someday.

I ran with my first-ever running buddy for nearly 2 years.  He quickly gave himself the nickname of my ‘Running Boyfriend’ (don’t worry, my husband and his wife know about this J), and we spent together nearly 2 years worth of pounding the pavement, side-by side, 4 to 6 days a week, until I discovered a training plan that was perfect for me, but not for my training buddy.  My new focus became speed and lower mileage per week, while he liked to run high mileage every week (which makes it difficult to focus on speed).  Due to our different goals and training plans, we saw less and less of one another over time.  I still see him on a weekly basis, and at least get to exchange a quick ‘hi’ before the run and a few words after the run.  I ran the last few miles of his 60th birthday marathon with him last October.  I plan to run with him again someday when I’m pregnant (I’m pretty sure I can get him to carry my water and food and anything else I may need during runs J). 
I have a ‘Running Sole Mate’ (nickname given to her by the previously mentioned ‘Running Boyfriend’) who I spent many miles with, as our running pace, and personalities were a perfect match.  My Running Sole Mate was bit on the leg by a dog during a run a couple years ago, and since then she’s had some other bad luck that has hindered her running progression.  While I, on the other hand, have been very lucky thus far in avoiding dog attacks, or major injuries/ illnesses, and have been able to steadily progress in running.  She’s due a really long, awesome string of good luck, so when that happens, she’ll catch up with me.  Until then, we have re-defined our relationship as ‘drinking buddies’.      

I have a ‘Triathlon Sole Mate’ who has given up triathlons for this season (so she can focus on running and other things).  She was my tride-and-true training buddy my first two triathlon seasons.  We did nearly all our runs and bikes together when our schedules allowed.  We even finished the last Olympic Triathlon we competed in, crossing the finish line together.  We have different strengths and weaknesses, but in the end it all evens out.  When we train together, we push each other very well.  I feel the loss of her presence this triathlon season, and I miss her, but I know she’s not done with triathlon for good, and we’ll have more tri seasons to share in the future. 
In the meantime, while I can’t say I currently have a ‘number one buddy’ with whom I do nearly all training sessions with, I have amassed a wealth of amazing training buddies this season.  I’ve been forced to branch out and find several new compatible training buddies, and I’m really enjoying getting to know so many awesome athletes. 
The longer one participates in a sport where ‘training buddies’ are the norm, the more one realizes the value of a training buddy.  Training buddies will come and go throughout life, but the position itself always seems to be full, if you let it.  If your training buddy has to take a temporary or permanent break from you, let them.  Don’t dwell on the fact that they are no longer the huge part of your life which they once were, and don’t let that be an excuse for you to stop exercising.  Keep in touch with them and hope that your lives will sync up again someday.  Be open to the prospect of meeting new people, and I promise you will fill the vacancy with one or more amazing training buddies.  Every person, and therefore every relationship is different, so don’t compare them, rather, take the opportunity to gain new insight, knowledge, and experiences with each and every training buddy that crosses your path. 
If any of my training buddies (old, current, new) are reading this, I hope you know the very important role you play in my life, and the special place you have in my heart.  I’m so grateful our training trails crossed, and appreciate every run, ride, experience, memory, and beer we have shared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment