Monday, October 22, 2012

Injury progress, and realizations

I'm hoping that I'll be ready to attempt some short, easy runs at some point this week.  I'm happy to report that it hasn't hurt to walk for a week now.  I am terrified, however to set out on that first post-injury run, and because of that I'm trying to wait until I don't feel anything unusual in my legs to try to run on them, and I'm hopeful that will happen this week. 

What I've done to 'fix' myself over this past month-and-a-half:

- 1 massage (I'm planning on getting another one soon!)
- 1 Physical Theraphy appointment (initial assessment, no homework exercises given)
- 4 Chiropractic appointments (Active Release Technique)
- 1 more Physical Therapy appointment (homework exercises given..which I still need to do- that's my
   project for this week)
-  LOTS OF REST
-  I was instructed by a doctor friend to stop taking stairs, so I did (as embarrassing as it has been). 
- Did more yoga and stretching in a 1 month period than I have my entire life, cumulatively- I'm pretty sure!

Things I've noticed about myself, or learned during this injury period
                                  (6.5 weeks and counting):

I don't eat as much when I'm not exercising.  Obviously, it makes sense that I'm not as hungry as when I am exercising because I am not expending the calories I normally do.  For the past year or so, though, I have thought of food as fuel for my workouts.  When I am in training mode for an upcoming race, I think about the type and amount of food I'm putting into my body.  I've typically never been a person with a large appetite, so it has been difficult to remember to eat since my body isn't telling me it's hungry, and my mind isn't thinking about fueling for my next workout. 

I drink more alcohol and less water when I'm not exercising. Not having to get up and perform athleticaly at 5am means I can have a glass (or two, or three) of wine with and after dinner.  I seem to have replaced my glass of water with dinner with a glass of wine.  I'm so aware of how important hydration is when I'm exercising that I make the conscious effort to stay well hydrated all day every day when I'm exercising.  Although I know water does a body good even when you aren't exercising, I just can't seem to make myself drink it as much if it's not for the benefit of a future workout.  Also, I can't pretend I'm not a psychology major and don't know that increased alcohol use is likely a coping mechanism..


I'm not aware of the weather forecast if I'm not running! My husband relies on me to give him the weather forecast every morning.  I'd always know because I would look at the hourly weather forecast almost every night to know what the temperature, humidity, rain chance would be for my run the following morning.  Checking the weather forecast was such an everyday (running related) event for me that I didn't even realize that had become my 'responsibility' or 'service' for my household until I didn't need the information for myself!    


I've made a good habit of taking the stairs rather than an elevator, and like any habit, it is hard to break.  I was instructed by a doctor friend to not take stairs for awhile becuase it is a 'single leg activity' and those are the kind of activities (walking, running, stairs, are some examples) which have been aggrivating my SI joint.  I find myself opening the door to the stairwell and then remembering "Crap, I'm not supposed to do this", or getting all the way down a flight of stairs and remembering "Woops, I wasn't supposed to do that."  Not to mention how embarassing it is for me- a young, healthy individual to stand there and wait for an elevator while others walk by towards the stairwell. 

I avoid social networking pages, and social gatherings which have to do with my running and triathlon groups while I'm injured.  I don't want to konw that everyone but me is planning and able to run, or to hear about how awesome everyone's race or training run was.  I'll admit it, I'm jealous of my un-injured counterparts. 

Most of my social time is spent exercising with my training buddies.  I've been aware for a couple years now that for the most part, my best friends are the ones I run and bike with.  Time spent running or biking with my best buds is more than just time to exercise, it is time to socialize and catch up with what's going on in one another's lives.  Not running = not getting my social outlet.

It feels really good to start the day off with a good stretch.  Almost every morning for the past three weeks , I've started my day off by rolling out the yoga mat and doing some yoga stretches to losen up my hips.  I've included the foam roller and tennis ball (read: self mini-massage) in this morning stretch routine too. 


I hope to report next week that I've done some 'baby' runs, and I'll also have some tips from a great article I read about 'Listening to your body to avoid injury'  Stay tuned! 


 

1 comment:

  1. The part about avoiding triathlon/ running networking sites made me laugh. I completely empathize with you there...been in those same shoes! Glad to hear the end seems to be in sight. Looking fwd to running with you again SOON!

    ReplyDelete