Monday, January 23, 2012

Getting Started

Every athlete has their own story of how they began their journey into athleticism.  Some began when they were children or adolescents, some start after college, and others are even in their 40's and beyond when they begin.  It is never too early or too late to start treating your body the way it deserves to be treated, and when your body is happy, your mind is more likely to be too! 


Starting out can be a scary thing, no matter what age you are.  Is running (or whatever form of exercise you choose) going to hurt? Am I going to look like an idiot? What am I supposed to wear?  are just a few questions beginners ask themselves.  If you are lucky enough to have found a group to exercise with there are even more questions Will I be able to keep up? Will others make fun of me because I'm breathing too hard or sweating too much? Even an experienced athlete like myself once had all these concerns when I started running in my mid 20's.  It took me over a year of lurking on a local online running forum to finally brave up and meet a running group.  Hindsight is 20/20 and I wish I hadn't wasted so much time fretting, and had taken the leap to group running sooner!  My first group run was anything but the intimidating scenario I had conjured up in my mind.  Everyone was so encouraging, informative, and friendly. 


I realise that if you are reading my blog, you are probably already an athlete, so feel free to share the following insights with those you know who might need a little encouragement: 


Everyone has to start somewhere.  Don't be intimidated, discouraged, or disheartened by the fact that you may not be as in-shape as others in your exercise group.  They remember being in your shoes at one time, and are likely just happy to see a fresh face in their group.  There are only so many stories to tell during runs, and it's always fun to get to tell them again when a new runner (pair of ears) joins the pack!  Don't compare yourself to others in the group, and know that YOU are going to get to see gains in your athletic performance/ pace at a much faster rate than those in the group who have been at it for awhile.  Cherish the start of your 'athletic career' because in time (months, years) you will be able to look back and see just how far you've come. 


You can learn a lot from exercising with others.  Sure, there are plenty of books out there devoted to the fundamentals of running, biking, swimming, etc.  but why not kill two birds with one stone and learn as you participate? Consider those athletes who have been doing the sport for awhile as your guinea pigs!  They've probably either read or experienced first-hand anything you need or want to know about the sport.  Most athletes are happy to tell you about their worst training or racing experiences, and what you can do to avoid a similar experience.  Bad races and training stories are like a badge of honor in the running, biking, and triathlon communities!  So, ask away, and don't be shy about it! 


'Group minded' athletes are some of the best people you will ever have the privilege of knowing.  Every member of a training group wants to be there.  They are there because they seek human interaction; they have a passion for what they are doing, and want to share that passion with others.  They respect one another because they know the sacrifices and willpower it takes to get up at 5AM for a run, or to bike 30+ miles after a long day of work.  They understand one another in a way that no outsider can.  And they share a special bond like no other.  Since I started group running and cycling, I have met the most genuine, the most fun, and the least judgemental people on this planet. 


So, go get started! Join a local running or exercise group!  It's never too late, it's not as scary as you think, and it will fulfill and prolong your life! 






2 comments:

  1. So true! I wish I had committed to a group much before I actually did. I wasn't nearly as afraid of their judgement as I was of their early start times! In the short months I've been going more regularly, I've gotten faster and more motivated. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joining teams and clubs and groups has always increased my skills, my knowledge and (most importantly) the amount of fun I have! I've found that people enjoy sharing what they know or have experienced with newcomers. Your presence is a vote of confidence in the activity/sport, and most people respond positively to your interest in joining and participating, I think!

    ReplyDelete