Monday, January 16, 2012

Making the best out of a Monday situation

Monday Psycho Runner may seem like a random name for a blog, but I did put quite a bit of thought into the name of this blog. I'm sure you picked up on the Psycho Runner part, (psycho = psychology/ mind, runner = me) but you may be wondering why I'd choose the least popular day of the week to include in the name of my blog.


Mondays get a bad wrap indeed.  In a quick Google search on "quotes about Monday" this is what turned up:


"Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life."
"Monday is the root of all evil."
"I’ve come to the conclusion that Mondays last 50% longer than the other days [each]."
"According to a recent study we conducted, Monday has been voted “Least Popular Day of the Week” 176 years in a row."
and of course: 
"Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays..."
I empathise with the above sentiments, but while I can't change the fact that Mondays happen every seven days, I can change the way I approach and live each Monday.  Easier said than done, I know, but I have discovered a way to trick my brain into liking (and even looking forward to) Mondays!


About 2 years ago, my running buddy Ernie (more on Ernie in a future post) offered to start meeting me at my house at 5:30 on Monday mornings for runs so that I could make it to work on time after our run.  For awhile it was just Ernie and I. We had a favorite route out to a nearby park, once or twice around the park, and back.  We started recruiting other running buddies to meet us on Monday mornings, and some Mondays there are as many as ten or more of us (my neighbors must think I am crazy!).  Around the time we started adding others to our Monday morning run, I began a new training plan (the F.I.R.S.T plan) which calls for one 'interval' run a week.  At first, I was the only one doing the intervals, but the beauty of intervals and running with a group is that it does not matter the speed that anyone is running.  I warm up with the group, and then once the interval part of the workout begins, I run ahead for the interval and then stop while the others catch up, or jog back to the group during my rest period between intervals.  A few brave running buddies started joining me on some or all of my intervals, and soon realized how EXHILARATING intervals can be! Intervals physically get your heart racing, and mentally take you back to your childhood when you use to race your classmates in the 100 yard dash for bragging rights during recess.  Any kind of run produces endorphins, but it seems as though intervals provide an even 'higher' runners high! My Monday morning running buddies and I agree that Monday morning intervals are the best possible way to start what is otherwise typically the most depressing day of the week.  


I truly look forward to my alarm clock going off a 5AM on Monday mornings. I am out the door, greeted by my smiling running buddies, and earning endorphins before my mind is even awake and able to think a single negative thought about the day ahead of me.  Once the run is over, the good feeling runners high stays with me for a few hours, and even after it wears off I can still pat myself on the back for working my butt off that morning.


Kentucky winters can make it difficult to stick to an outdoor running schedule, so it has been many Mondays since the crew has gathered at my house.  I have stuck to my Monday morning interval routine, (on the treadmill) however, because I love starting my week off with a heart-pumping, super endorphin-producing workout.  Once spring arrives, I'd like to invite YOU to get your Monday started off right with me (intervals or not)!   


I read that "Exercising on a Monday sets a psychological tone for the rest of the week, and if you exercise on Monday, you are more likely to exercise other days of the week as well." I know athletes who use Monday as their 'rest day' after a weekend of hard training, and then exercise the other 6 days of the week.  So, I don't necessarily agree with that statement, but I whole-heartedly believe that starting whatever day of the week that is mentally toughest for you with a good workout will make that day a happier one for you.  


What is your favorite day of the week to exercise, and why?

4 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, Thursdays. I get tired from workouts and long workdays by mid-week, so Thursdays are my toughest days. I typically make an effort to plan my workout for Thursdays at the start of the week when I'm pumped about running the most. It helps me look forward to it and make a healthier effort all week long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a great point, Michel! On days that I don't get my workout done in the morning, all day I look forward to doing my workout after work. It's a great way to relieve stress and tune out after a hard work day!

      Delete
  2. Jenn, as soon as spring arrives, I'd love to join you for Monday morning interval runs!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Kathy! Spring can't come soon enough!!

      Delete