Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Creating Motivation

Motivation isn't something you just go out and find, you have to create your own. 

During a conversation today with a (out of shape) co-worker who was explaining to me how lazy, and therefore overweight she has become I had a major realization.  It dawned on me that to the 'outsider' it seems like everything about exercise comes easy to athletes.  To the 'outsider' it appears as though those who are fit posses some strong, innate desire to exercise regularly, as if it's a gene that some humans get and others don't.  The moment I had that realization, I felt the need to inform my co-worker that I struggle with motivating myself to exercise.  I could tell by the look on her face she was completely shocked to hear me say that.  I explained to her that I have figured out a set of motivational tactics that works for me, and I rely on those heavily to keep me doing what I do on a regular basis.  Motivation varies for each individual, and everyone needs to figure out what it is that motivates them

I'm looking forward to following a training plan again (starting next week).  Having a race to train for is the best motivational factor for me.  Due to finances, schedule, or other factors, I don't always have a race to train for, however.  It is during those times I must figure out how else to motivate myself to exercise.

For the past eight months, I have not followed a training plan, and I've gone through several rough patches as far as motivation is concerned.  I have only completed two triathlon seasons thus far, but I already see a pattern of 'post-triathlon season blues' forming.  I get such an incredible 'high' from triathlon training and racing, that after the last tri race of the season, my motivation crashes.  While I have had many ebbs in motivation over the past eight months, I managed to keep in pretty good shape heading into my third triathlon season.  Without a race to train for (aka my motivation to exercise) I had to pull from my 'motivational tactics file' a lot this Winter to find the motivation to run. 

Here were my main sources of motivation to run this Winter: 

My dog:  I used my best gal pal, Ruby, as motivation several times this winter.  In November I vowed that I was going to be a major wuss about running in the cold this Winter (after being scarred from so many marathon training runs in the brutal cold last Winter) and  I stuck true to that vow.  That meant not running outside in the mornings with my running buddies.  It's hard for me to get motivated to A) run by myself, and B) run after work.  I know running makes Ruby extremely happy, so I'd muster up the motivation after a long day of work to take her out on a run, just to see that smile on her elongated schnoz.

Happy Ruby, post run. 

Burning Calories: Never until this Winter have I used 'burning calories' as any sort of motivation to exercise.  Running (and biking and swimming) has never been about burning calories for me.  I exercise because it makes me happy, and I know it is healthy.  I set out on several runs this past Winter with the goal just to burn calories. When I am following a training plan, every workout has a purpose and is done with a certain pre-determined goal pace, but since I wasn't  training for anything in particular this Winter, I didn't have that 'focus' to drive my motivation to run.  Although this isn't typically like me, I have to admit, it was a relief to know that if I wasn't happy with the pace of a run, at least I could know that I burned calories and would have 'that much less' weight to carry on my swims/ bikes/ runs in triathlon races this year. 

My Happy Pill/ Stress Relief: Sometimes when I'm feeling unmotivated I just have to remind myself how happy and de-stressed I will be during and after the workout is over.  I have never regretted doing a workout, but many times I have regretted skipping one. Skipping a workout is a 'double whammie':  you don't get that happy high one can gain only from a great workout, and you are left with regret for not having done the workout.



Social Time: There are some close friends of mine that, due to our crazy schedules, the only way we see one another some weeks (or months) is by running together.  We both need to get our run in for the day, so it makes sense to combine our limited time into a 'social run'. (A social run is a run in which the pace is easy enough for the runners to carry on a conversation).  Before I started following a strict training plan a couple years ago, I had no qualmls with doing 'social runs', but over the past couple years I followed a plan in which each of my (3) runs a week had to be very fast paced (no time for social runs).  No one needs motivation to get out and socialize with their best friends, and since I took the past eight months off of that stringent training plan, I was able to motivate myself to do several runs (some 10 miles or more) for the sole purpose of socializing with my buddies. 


A 'social run' I did recently.  10.5 miles for the sole purpose of spending time with some of my running buddies!

I know every one of us is capable of coming up with a different excuse, day after day to not exercise, but you only need to figure out a few good motivators that work for you in order to overcome those excuses.  What are YOUR motivators? 

1 comment: